Introduction to static spliniting
During this one-day workshop, participants will use the latest Orfit thermoplastic to learn techniques for fabricating basic static finger, hand and wrist based splints. Participants will receive splinting patterns and course notes in an easy reference booklet.
Course starts at 8am and concludes at 5pm, Morning tea, Lunch and Afternoon tea will be provided. Maximum of 10 participants.
The course outline includes the following
Finger based orthosis
- Splinting the DIP joint
- Dorsal finger splint
- Volar finger trough
Hand Based Orthosis
- Short opponens orthosis
- Metacarpal fracture brace
Wrist based Orthosis
- Volar thumb hole wrist orthosis
- Wrist and thumb spica orthosis
- Scaphoid orthosis
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to;
- gain knowledge of different thermoplastics and their relative properties for clinical use
- develop practical skills in the manufacturing of upper limb orthotics
- obtain knowledge of upper limb injuries and their management with thermoplastic interventions
- gain skills in generating splinting patterns for the upper limb
Workshop format: Powerpoint presentation, orthotic fabrication demonstration and hands-on fabrication of orthoses will guarantee achievement of learning objectives.